Basics for Dummies? Lol
Basics for Dummies? Lol

Course Categories Forums Intro to Rulerwork Basics for Dummies? Lol

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Loving the course so far. I’m having a hard time moving along the ruler. I wonder if I’m pressing too hard on the ruler and then I’m unable to move the fabric. I wonder what I’m doing wrong. Is there any way you could do a basic (for dummies) video on how to hold the ruler and how hard to push along it. The only other thing I might try is a “slippery mat” (the name escapes me) or maybe I’m sitting too low?

I’m on an Juki and the ruler foot is adjustable, but I have no clue how close or far it should be from the quilt sandwich.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!

Katherine

Ginny
    Participant

No expert here, but I have heard on other videos that the foot should be able to skim across the fabric, when the foot is in the down position. Mine touches the fabric, but just barely. I put my quilt sandwich under the foot, lower the presser foot, and make sure I can move the sandwich easily. If not, I adjust my foot. I do not use one of the mats yet, but I see most persons on videos who do free motion quilting have one on their machine. Without the needle moving, can you smoothly use the ruler to move the fabric under the ruler foot on the surface you are working on? I have found it is a balance to support the ruler so that it does not slip, yet being conscious of not pressing too hard. I have even caught myself pressing the ruler against the foot too hard. I remind myself….light touch, light touch…. Have fun.

Thank you, Ginny! I loosened up a bit and did what you suggested with the presser foot. It’s much better! I appreciate your help.

I also went back and watched the videos again. That helped a ton too. She does explain it all very well…i guess I was too overwhelmed to let it sink in. I also made some practice squares to do a trial run. That helped a lot. There are still mistakes on my “kit” squares, but I’m happy with my progress. Thanks again!

How are you coming along?

Ginny
    Participant

I am having fun. Just when I am thinking that things are going well, I find my ruler foot is not against the ruler, creating unplanned design features. Have not started on circles yet, but have watched the videos. I am doing better with somewhat even stitching, so hopeful I gain some FMQ confidence as well.

Haha exactly! I’m thinking the circles will be the true test of staying next to the ruler lol. I started doing the fmq with Stephanie’s course a year ago. I love it so much. I’m sure you’ll love it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Quilt Addicts Anonymous Academy

Welcome to the Quilt Addicts Anonymous Academy! A collection of more than 100 commercial-free classes on everything from making your first quilt to advanced rulerwork techniques.

Each paid course comes with an exclusive discount on the pattern or supplies needed to take the course at shop.quiltaddictsanonymous.com!